What is Artificial Intelligence?
AI is a branch of computer science that is in charge of managing algorithms, systems and technologies that can perform tasks that would normally require human intelligence. In other words, AI can interpret data and make decisions.
One of the most popular forms of AI is machine learning, where the application is capable of learning behavior from people who are interacting with it. The main characteristic of this AI is that the programming is not fixed, it evolves according to the different scenarios.
Artificial intelligence in IoT
Probably you already know the meaning of IoT, it is the capacity to connect any object over the internet. Artificial Intelligence and IoT make a great combination, since tons of data can be gathered by IoT devices, but the last part, where the user needs to make decisions with the information collected, is not as easy as it sounds.
This is where IoT with Artificial intelligence makes sense. An IoT technology collects useful data through different sensors, then, such data is sent to the cloud (see cloud computing) and displayed in a way people can understand. In this case, AI is in charge of analyzing the data generated by the IoT devices, and so, extract insights from it to make different decisions.
What are the benefits of AI in IoT?
The combination of AI and IoT brings interesting benefits.
- The IoT devices collect tons of data, however, AI can filter the best information and reduce response times. This is very important for situations like self-driving cars, where these vehicles need to predict the behavior of pedestrians and other cars to know when to change lines, accelerate or brake down.
- Thanks to AI, IoT devices don’t have to store big amounts of data in the cloud, this represents lower charges for the use of cloud platforms.
- If AI and IoT are working together, there will be better decisions, since AI can quickly display any information that is relevant to a certain task or operation.
- A great benefit of AI in IoT is the increase of operational efficiency. Companies will get the best recommendations and solutions for a better use of their machinery, raw materials, and for improving human interaction inside the facilities.
- Artificial Intelligence can also play an important role in the protection of data, that is, it can work as a security guard against cyber attacks.
Example of IoT with Artificial Intelligence
Let’s say you have a system with smart lights in your house. Thanks to home automation and AI, the system can automatically adjust the light intensity in specific rooms of the house where there are people.
Imagine you are in your study room and it is 8:00pm. The AI will detect your presence in the room, and it will adjust the light in such a way that you can keep concentration. On the other hand, Artificial Intelligence and IoT devices will act together to turn off the lights when any room of the house is empty, and thus, reduce energy consumption.
More IoT definitions
IoT devices examples
What is the future of IoT?
IoT hardware explained
IoT business ideas